Jeremy Garcia, Jono Bacon, and Stuart Langridge present Bad Voltage, in which we create predictions for 2023! What will happen over the next twelve months in the world of tech? Here’s what we think…
- Stuart: the Texas HB20 social media law will come before the US Supreme Court, and the US Supreme Court will uphold it as constitutional
- Stuart: Global daily Twitter users will drop a minimum of 10% by the end of 2023
- Stuart: A song claimed to be composed and performed entirely by AI will get in the charts
- Stuart (Bonus): Apple will either allow sideloading or allow third-party browser engines on iOS
- Stuart (Bonus): Someone buys Netflix
- Jeremy: Tiktok gets banned in the USA
- Jeremy: At least one traditional financial institution will have taken on substantial crypto risk that wasn’t fully disclosed
- Jeremy: Netflix is acquired
- Jeremy: The rapid advances in AI slow down in a very obvious way
- Jeremy (Bonus): the web starts fragmenting into 3 distinct blocs: sino, euro, americano
- Jeremy (Bonus): Mastodon usage peaks in the first half and drops steadily from there
- Jeremy (Bonus): someone takes a large equity stake in Canonical
- Jono: Meta will announce significant (1000+ peolpe) layoffs in their Metaverse division
- Jono: Twitter will launch a YouTube competitor. Users will be able to upload long-form videos (1hr+), monetize their videos with ads, and see a video view
- Jono: There will be at least 1 legal regulatory requirement be put into practice in the US or EU that restricts the use of ChatGPT and/or Large Language Models
- Jono (Bonus): Apple will release their AR/VR headset, will garner positive reviews for the product, but press will still question the viability of AR/VR
- Jono (Bonus): Donald Trump will drop out of the election for one of two reasons: (1) claims of persecution, or (2) a legal decision prevents him from running
- Jono (Bonus): Bing will launch with ChatGPT-like functionality and see significantly increased growth. Significantly increased = 30%+
Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!
BV 3x54 mp3 [ 54:52 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
BV 3x54 ogg [ 54:52 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
News music: Long Live Blind Joe by Robbero, used with attribution.
Thank you to Marius Quabeck and NerdZoom Media for being our audio producers!