Stuart Langridge and Jeremy Garcia present Bad Voltage, in which Jono is away, you too are not an astronaut, and:
- [00:02:00] Shares slide after China brands online games “electronic drugs”
- [00:03:50] The US FAA changes the definition of “astronaut” after Bezos and Branson go into space, LOL
- [00:06:25] Machine learning sucks at covid
- [00:12:15] Sinclair are 60, and some thoughts on retro computing popularity prompted by @popey
- [00:15:45] The Pixel 6 has been announced; what’s the score? They’re being a bit close-mouthed about it, but it’s apparently a real flagship this time, whatever that means
- [00:23:00] Firefox lost 50M users since 2019, down from around 250 million
- [00:26:25] Bronze Medalists Are Happier Than Silver Winners, although this is decided by facial recognition
- [00:30:00] Facebook creates new unit to build a “metaverse”
- [00:34:50] Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over streaming of Black Widow
- [00:42:45] Netflix Plans to Offer Video Games in Push Beyond Films, TV
- And we said we’d look into Amazon revenue per business unit, and an infographic from “visual capitalist” suggests that it’s 50% from their selling on Amazon.com (and .co.uk, etc) plus another 20% from third-party sales through amazon.com (etc). AWS is about half of the remainder (12.4% overall), and the remainder is divided roughly evenly between subscriptions (Prime), real-world stores (Whole Foods), and other, all at about 5% overall each.
Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!
News music: Long Live Blind Joe by Robbero, used with attribution.
Thank you to Marius Quabeck and NerdZoom Media for being our audio producers!