Stuart Langridge, Jono Bacon, and Jeremy Garcia present Bad Voltage, in which we take the security advice of international expert Hans Gruber, we find Jono’s lack of middle name preparation disturbing, and:
- [00:02:00] Some “fresh baby witches” have put a hex on the moon, as if we didn’t have enough to worry about. Apparently this is bad because “inexperienced witches should only be researching and doing protection work”
- [00:04:40] 14% of men fantasise about the voice of Alexa
- [00:07:30] Serious book author fails to properly read google search results, includes things from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in a historical novel about dye making
- [00:09:33] The Irish Health and Safety Executive donates their “Covid Green” contact tracing app to the Linux Foundation global public health project
- [00:12:59] The Twitter hack was apparently done via access to internal tools by compromising employees, although there are bigger questions, such as: should they have been better at doing crimes?
- [00:18:31] According to The Markup, Google search results are now mostly to Google properties. We’re not sure we buy this, but they have a point worth thinking about
- [00:25:55] Microsoft may be buying TikTok after conversations with the White House. The motives for this and the forces causing it to happen may be a little obscure, or may simply be Microsoft spotting a popular thing and buying it…
- [00:49:43] Musicians just aren’t working hard enough, says the Spotify CEO. “What is required from successful musicians”, says Daniel Ek, “is a deeper, more consistent, and prolonged commitment than in the past.” Should being a musician today be significantly harder than it was for the Beatles? Maybe yes: this is the new world order, and the business of music is different now
- [00:56:10] Google are partnering with ADT, using Google Home speakers for security to detect “critical noises” such as smoke alarms and breaking glass, and using ultrasonic sound as a movement detector
Come chat with us and the community in our Slack channel via https://badvoltage-slack.herokuapp.com/!
News music: Long Live Blind Joe by Robbero, used with attribution.
Thank you to Marius Quabeck and NerdZoom Media for being our audio producers!